Drug Aware Margaret River Pro Story Lines
As the Drug Aware Margaret River Pro is set to begin in the next few days, there a number of story lines we’ll be keeping a close eye on:
- After getting bounced early at Snapper, Jordy and JJF should be surfing with something to prove. Poor results here will seriously hurt both of these top 5 contenders’ shots for legitimate World Title runs. Let’s hope we see them perform to their highest levels.
- Shea Lopez used the term “the wrath of Slater” to explain how Slater might react after getting beat by Adriano for the 5th time in a row. Slater did looked rattled in his post-heat interview. Will he come out swinging at Margs?
- Taj is showing up as the hometown hero and event favorite (as highlighted in 21 Days). Will he put on a strong showing, or will he choke?
- Medina is going to come out to show that Snapper wasn’t a fluke and that he is the real deal. Will he strengthen his claim on being a World Title contender?
- Jeremy Flores was PISSED with Adriano and the whole interference drama. How will he react coming into Margs? How much would we love to see an Adriano/Flores rematch? …a lot.
- The rookies: There are lots of eyes on Dion Atkinson for this event. He’s a power surfer raised on the cold, sharky slabs of southern Australia. If Margs gets some swell, he’ll be well suited to make a run. And Mitch Crews showed his high performance capabilities surprising many (especially Julian Wilson) with his strong result at Snapper. Both will be aiming to back up their results to avoid getting trapped in the lower seeds for the remainder of the year (and we know how valuable that was for Nat last year).
- Miguel Pupo: shaped from the same mold as Gerry Lopez? His style had everyone buzzing at Snapper and he pulled right through to the Quarterfinals losing only to Parko who owned the break right up to the last minute of the finals. Will Miguel make the jump to next level this year? Many think yes.
- (added) Will we see Kelly Slater ride without the Quiksilver logo on his Al Merrick for the first time in 23 years ? -more-